NaNoWriMo, Part II

Monday, November 28, 2011

November is running out, and novelists all over the world are scrambling to get down the last of their 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo. I was freakishly efficient, so it only took me a little over two weeks to finish. And we're not talking about what I neglected in order to finish that soon. In any case, the words are written, and only editing remains. I'm letting my story stew a little before I start that.
 
While writing, something occured to me. It's not reaching the 50,000 words that is the real reward, and it doesn't really matter if you write 40,000 or 60,000 - what's important is that you write. The more you write, the easier it gets. So to those who don't reach the goal by Wednesday night - screw it. You did good if you got something - anything at all - written. Writing isn't a race. It's a process. And sometimes processes don't cooperate or take longer than expected. Whatever.
 
Be grateful for every word you wrote. I am.
 
I don't know what's going to become of my story. It's called "A Thousand Sunsets" and is about the chances you get - and take - in life. It needs work before anyone gets to see it, but I'm happy with the overall idea of it. I'll be back with a snippet when I start the editing process.
 
Two days left of NaNoWriMo 2011 - use them well. And happy writing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment